Friday, June 19, 2009

Day Two Summer Games Swim Meet


Swimming Sisters! Karen and I getting our potassium on day two of the Utah Summer Games.
Another day and more ridiculously crazy happenings for this wanna-be swimmer athlete! Like getting advice on diving off the block and going far under the water before breaking the surface with my head. The dolphin kick, strict rules with where the hands go for the push up, and on and on. I went over it in my mind over and over. Up on the blocks and BAM, I headed first into the water trying to push arms, dolphin kick, and still holding my breath. I popped up and everyone was ahead of me! What I realized is that this particular dive off the blocks is for the breast stroke. I was supposed to go long and lean on the free style. Then of course, when I got to the other end to turn around (mind you, I'm still in the free style) I missed touching two hands, so I stopped and turned to be sure both hands touched. This too, was the rule for breast stroke, not free style. So it was a crazy race! Then when I completed in the 50 meter back stroke, I took on water like a sinking ship! Somehow, I pulled through on both races to finish and won silver metals for all my efforts! What fun!

1 comment:

Eric the Viking said...

All of those silly mishaps and you still did great! Don't worry, you learn as you go. I remember one of my first track meets I was running the 110 high hurdles. I did decent, but when we got done the guy in the lane next to me was livid! He looked at me with deep disdain and begged the ref to disqualify me. I was baffled! What had I done to earn such hostility? Later my coach explained that my gorilla arm had swung around and smacked him in the chest each time I cleared a hurdle. I was so focused i had no inclination of any contact. Funny now, but not so much at the time.